Thursday, November 14, 2013

Mind of a Soldier

    This week in English we read the graphic novel War is Boring by David Axe. Throughout the entire book the author keeps talking about how boring war was: but continued to go to war zone after war zone. He justified it by saying that peace was more boring. While I may not know firsthand about war, I know many people that have experienced it, and that makes me believe his reasoning for going to conflict is not the consensus.
    Some people may think that soldiers have no choice but to go to war zones, but that is not true. One may not choose when or where they are deployed, but when they sign up for service they are making the commitment to go where they are needed. In the movie Black Hawk Down there is a very deep conversation at the end. SFC Norm "Hoot" Gibson says, "When I go home people'll ask me, 'Hey Hoot, why do you do it man? What, you some kinda war junkie?' You know what I'll say? I won't say a goddamn word. Why? They won't understand. They won't understand why we do it. They won't understand that it's about the men next to you, and that's it. That's all it is". That quote is especially meaningful to me because two of my best friends from back home went in to the Army and Marines last year. When I asked one of them why
he said, "I want to make a difference. I do not want to look back five years from now and wonder if I have done anything meaningful".
    At the end of War is Boring Axe goes to Chad after a long stay at home. Before this moment in the story, he went to increasingly more dangerous war zones just for the rush, just to get away from the bore of peace. In this situation, however, he is questioned by his family about why he is leaving again and he says, "Because Chad matters". I think that shows the evolution of him in the story from an adrenaline junkie to someone who starts to care more about other people. I believe this goes more along the mindset of most soldiers, as very rarely do they join because they are adrenaline junkies. From my experience talking to people in my family about their time in combat, I have come up with the conclusion that through all the turmoil, they have stayed strong by believing that they are making a difference.
    Nobody goes in to the war looking to be a hero. That is a quick way to get killed. In another scene from Black Hawk Down, Eversmann talks about a conversation he had with a friend before he left: "He asked me 'Why are you going to fight somebody else's war? What, do you think you're heroes?' I didn't know what to say at the time, but if he'd ask me again I'd say no. I'd say there's not way in hell. Nobody asks to be a hero… It just sometimes turns out that way". This shows that no soldier looks to be a hero, none go to war just for the fame or the spotlight, but the actions that become commonplace in combat are sometimes considered heroic.
    It takes a special kind of person to make it in war zone after war zone, both physically and mentally. War is Boring shows the evolution of Axe from someone who needs the rush, to someone who wants to make a difference. That is one of the traits that makes a good soldier, being selfless. The ability to go risk your life day after day, just for the hope that you make a difference is the choice made by the soldiers who defend our country.

3 comments:

  1. I completely agree! No soldier goes to war saying that they want to be called a hero. Soldiers just go to war wanting to make a difference and protect our country. I have also wondered why men go into the service. I personally do not think I could mentally or physically make it. These men are so selfless. They put their lives on the line for our country and the opposing country trying to make the world a better place.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree with Candice. They go to make a difference. They want to protect their country like many before them have. I know I could not mentally or physically make it through war either. I could not handle it. So I am very thankful that there is people out there fighting for me.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I agree, no soldier goes to war saying they want to be a hero, they just want to make a difference like Mackayla said. The soldiers fight for us and our country. Our country should be thankful for the troops we have.

    ReplyDelete